Queen Elizabeth II has been the United Kingdom’s pillar of stability for decades. She has seen it all; she has lived and witnessed World War II first-hand. During her lifetime, she was Queen regnant of 32 sovereign states and head of state of 15 realms when she died. She was born in Mayfair, London, as the first child of the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother).
Below are 15 fascinating facts about Elizabeth II.
1. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II was born on April 21/1926. She died on September 8, 2022.
2. Queen Elizabeth II was the longest-serving monarch in the entire history of Britain.
3. Queen Elizabeth was the head of state of over 60 countries, including Canada and Australia.
4. During her reign, she saw over 14 Prime Ministers.
5. Her favourite dog was corgis.
6. The Queen had two birthdays; on the day she was officially born, April 21 and on any Saturday in June, pending good weather.
7. She became Queen of the UK on June 2/1953. It is estimated that at least 20 million watched the ceremony on TV live worldwide. She is currently 93 years old.
8. The late Queen was the only person who could drive without a driver’s license.
9. Also, she does not own a passport yet has travelled to over 100 countries.
10. She has always received gifts from other countries and individuals, among them an elephant.
11. The Queen is a fan of the Arsenal Football Club.
12. When British citizens turned 100 years old, they received a letter from the late Queen.
13. When you greet the Queen, you are not allowed to shake her mind.
14. The late Queen and husband, Prince Philip, had four children:
- Prince Charles, Prince of Wales
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York
- Anne, Princess Royal
- Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex
15. She is on the currency of Canada, Australia and some other Commonwealth countries.