The United Kingdom is one of the world’s most powerful and well-known countries. It used to be a very vast Empire, owning more land than entire continents, and during those times, every country used to submit to the will of Great Britain. It is a very historic country, with many mind-blowing facts.
Below are 25 Facts about The United Kingdom.
1. The United Kingdom has just over 67 million people.
2. The United Kingdom comprises four countries; England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
3. The United Kingdom has the 6th largest economy in the world.
4. The largest city in the UK is London, the capital city.
5. The official and national language is English.
6. English is spoken in over 67 countries, regions and territories.
7. The largest country in the United Kingdom is England.
8. The United Kingdom is sometimes called “Britain”, Great Britain or simply the UK.
9. The UK is a member of NATO, G7, The United Nations, Interpol and other world organizations.
10. Charles III is the head of State and is the son of the late former Queen Elizabeth II.
11. The British Empire is no more, but Queen Elizabeth II is still Queen (head of State) of more than 50 countries worldwide. All these countries are former colonies, territories, and dominions of the British Empire… one of the greatest empires in the history of the world.
12. The anthem is called: “God Save the Queen”.
13. The Empire is no more, and they are no longer a superpower. However, the United Kingdom is still very powerful, reflected in its currency, the “Pound Sterling” (GBP). So it still has a lot of influence.
14. The Pound sterling is the 4th most traded currency in the world.
15. The Queen was born in London on April 21/1926. She is over 90 years old.
16. The late Queen, Elizabeth II, travelled to over 100 countries without a passport.
17. All eggs in the UK would be illegal in American and Canadian supermarkets because they are not washed. The same thing is the other way around. American eggs are illegal in the UK because they are washed.
18. If you turn 100 years old, the Queen sends you a birthday card.
19. Speaking of the British Empire, they owned more territory than the entire African continent.
20. The United Kingdom is the second most ethnically diverse country in the world, behind the United States. Therefore, it attracts many people from all over the world who want to live there.
21. Britain is the land of tea. Over 163 million cups of tea are consumed per day. That is at least 20 times more than Americans and 60 times more than Canadians.
22. Every 25 miles, you will notice a change in people’s accents.
23. Depression and loneliness kill more men under 50 years old than cancer, driving or anything else in the United Kingdom and worldwide.
24. Britain has the highest number of people with obesity globally at about 25%, not America like most people think.
25. The name Mary is prevalent among women.