25 Facts about Britain
The United Kingdom is one of the most powerful and well known countries in the world. It is used to be a very vast Empire, owning more land than entire continents and during those times, every country used to submit to the will of Great Britain. It is a very historic country, with many mind blowing facts.
Below are 25 Facts about The United Kingdom.
1. The United Kingdom has a population of just over 67 million people.
2. The United Kingdom is made up of 4 countries; England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
3. The United Kingdom has the 6th largest economy in the world.
4. The largest city in the UK is London, which is also its capital city.
5. The official and national language is English.
6. English is spoken to over 67 countries, regions and territories.
7. The largest country in the United Kingdom is England.
8. The United Kingdom is sometimes called “Britain”, Great Britain or simply the UK.
9. The UK is a member of NATO, G7, The United Nations, Interpol and other world organizations.
10. Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state, and is the longest serving head of state in the world (since 1952).
11. The British Empire is no more, but Queen Elizabeth II is still queen (head of State) of more than 50 countries in the world. All these countries are former colonies, territories, and dominions of the British Empire… one of the greatest empires in the history of the world.
12. The anthem is called: “God Save the Queen”.
13. The Empire is no more and they are no longer a superpower, the United Kingdom is still a very powerful country in the world, and this is reflected in the currency, the “Pound Sterling” (GBP). It still has a lot of influence.
14. The Pound sterling is the 4th most traded currency in the world.
15. The Queen was born in London on April 21/1926. She is over 90 years old.
16. Even though the Queen does not have a passport, she has visited over 100 countries.
17. All eggs in the UK would be illegal in American and Canadian supermarkets because they are not washed. The same thing the other way around, American eggs are illegal in he UK because they are washed.
18. If you turn 100 years old, the Queen sends you a birthday card.
19. Speaking of the British Empire, they owned more territory than the entire African continent.
20. The United Kingdom is the second most ethinically diverse country in the world behind the United States. It attracts a lot of people from all over the world want to live there.
21. Britain is the land of tea. Over 163 million cups of tea consumed per day. This is at least 20 times more than Americans and 60 times more than Canadians.
22. Every 25 miles, you will notice a change in people’s accents.
23. Depression and loneliness kills more men under the age of 50 years old than cancer, driving or anything else in the United Kingdom and around the world.
24. Britain has the highest number of people with obesity in the world at 25% not America like most people think.
25. The name Mary is very popular for women.