24 Facts About Scotland
Scotland has a history spanning over 10,000 years, so to say that this country is historic would be an understatement. It is on the northern part of the Island of Great Britain, and shares a border with England. Discover some facts about Scotland’s population, geography, cities and more below.
1. Established in the 9th century, Scotland is one of the oldest countries on the world. It is really old.
2. National Motto is: In My Defens God Me Defend.
3. The country covers 1/3 of the island of the United Kingdom.
4. Scotland is the second biggest country in the United Kingdom. England is first.
5. Canada’s first two Prime Ministers were Scottish. The famous John A. MacDonald and Alexander Mackenzie.
6. Scotland is an independent country that is a part of the United Kingdom.
7. Because it is part of the United Kingdom, the country uses the Pound Sterling currency.
8. Scotland has an official animal: the Unicorn.
9. Scotland has an estimated population of 5.5 million people.
11. Scotland has over 700 Islands, the majority of them are inhabited.
12. Mount Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in Scotland.
13. English is the most spoken language but the country has 3 officially recognized languages: English, Gaelic, and Scots.
14. The capital city of Scotland is Edinburgh.
16. Edinburgh has a population of around 794,000. This includes all the surrounding areas.
17. The largest city in Scotland is Glasgow, and has a total population of around 1,655,810.
18. The name Scotland comes from the Latin word Scotia.
19. Even though it is part of the UK, the country has its own legal system.
20. Scotland has contributed greatly to our society with the invention of the television, penicillin and the telephone.
21. The raincoat was invented by Charles Macintosh in Scotland, a native of Glasgow.
22. The people who settled on the land that is now Scotland actually came from Ireland.
23. The first official international football game (soccer) was played in 1872 between Scotland and England. The match ended in a draw 0 – 0.
24. Golf was born in Scotland.